Sunday, September 6, 2009

What kind of friends do you have?

Today is Sunday and therefore it is a day of rest. Both in the workout program and reality...so I have read and continued in my 90-day read thru the Bible workout. I am reading in 2 Kings now...and the story of Namaan was reviewed.

Namaan had the disease of leprosy and was wanting healed. He traveled to Elisha, God's prophet, seeking what to do to be healed. Elisha informed him to go to the Jordan River and dip seven times and on the seventh he would be healed. When Namaan heard this he left and was angry because he didn't believe this would heal him.

Upon returning to his home, he had friends (servants-those closest to him) who asked him to reconsider what Elisha informed him to do so that he could be healed. Basically, Namaan's friends were urging him to listen to the advice and instruction he had just been given. Upon hearing from his friends, Namaan changed his mind and listened. He went and dipped 7 times...and was healed as prophesied by Elisha.

It made me stop and think...do I have friends in my life that would see my disobedience and urge me to reconsider my actions? Do you have friends who see your disobedience and urge you towards corrective action?

It is important that we get close to a couple of trustworthy people who we can count on (even when we don't want to) to help us along our journey towards God rather than those who pull us further away. Be sure to build relationships with this in mind...and also know you can be a friend to someone as well...helping them in their time of disobedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment