Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Confident or coward?

A quick note on my physical workout...I have lost approximately 18 pounds now. It is the beginning of the 5th week (so Day 29)...I have done quite well sticking with this. I started taking vitamins today as well that will help keep my metabolism high. shed fat, and build lean muscle. Plyometrics today. Yesterday's routine (new one for chest, shoulders and triceps) was pretty tough. I am quite sore today.

I am well into the book of 1 Chronicles today and really have enjoyed my reading thus far. It has helped my prayer life as well as so many passages in the OT demonstrate great prayer examples. It is also teaching me patience thru seeing how patient God has been with His people...us throughout all history.

In 1 Chronicles, it is believed to be Ezra who wrote the book and in it, he details his account of the genealogy of the Israelites, Kings, sons, etc. This is where the "Prayer of Jabez" is found as well. In addition, he highlights the event of Saul, David, etc. and I just finished reading the passage where he recounts David's mighty men. The portion of the scripture that I enjoy is the confidence David exhibits when he states (paraphrased by me): "If you are for me, join me and let's get on with things. If you are against me, be forewarned that my God will deal with you since I have done no evil."

Do we exhibit the kind of confidence King David demonstrated? He needed help. He took help when it was genuine and he didn't try and defend himself. He let God do his fighting with those who were against him and trying to bring him down. David's mighty men saw to it that David succeeded. They didn't drag him down. They protected him and fought courageously with him. They had this confidence as well because David had confidence.

Have we ever faced opposition for living right with God? Have we ever been afforded the opportunity to present ourselves confidently toward our opponent or have we failed to do so because we were too coward? When we act on our confidence, which is rooted in God alone not ourselves, God provides an assurance and peace about our actions. He guides our steps. He provides all the right things for us to succeed. When we act this way, it is contagious and others catch it, like David's mighty men.

Next time you are faced with this kind of a situation, remember King David and his mighty men. Be confident in Christ! Don't waste your time trying to defend yourself...let God and he will provide what you need to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment